175g butter, softened
175g caster sugar
Pinch of salt
Finely grated zest of two lemons, unwaxed
Juice of 1 lemon
175g self raising flour, sieved
1. Pre-heat oven at 170c/Gas mark 3. Butter a 1lb loaf tin and line with baking paper.
2. Beat the butter, sugar and salt together until light and fluffy. Add the lemon zest and mix until fully incorporated. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition, then add the milk and lemon juice. Sift the flour into the mixture and combine.
3. Pour the mixture into you prepared tin and bake for 40 – 45 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
4. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove from the tin and leave to cool completely.
5. To make the glaze, gently heat 100g of caster sugar and juice of 1 lemon in a small pan until all the sugar is dissolved and the mixture goes thick and syrupy (test by seeing how quickly it rolls of the back of your wooden spoon – slower is better!) Don’t allow to boil.
6. Prick all over the top of the loaf cake with a skewer or small knife. Place the load on a wire rack over a plate or bowl, then gently pour the glaze all over, trying to get it into the holes. This will enrich the loaf from the inside and make it lovely and moist.
And we’re ready to serve! Enjoy with a lovely Earl Grey in the sunshine.