3 large egg whites
2 tsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Put the butter in a small saucepan and heat until it turns golden brown (aka beurre noisette aka nut coloured!) When it’s a lovely golden brown colour it’s ready. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
2. Sift the sugar, ground almonds, cocoa and salt together in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites, honey, coffee granules and vanilla extract. Once combined, add the sugar/ground almond mix. Once combined again, add the cooled beurre noisette.
3. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and place in the fridge for 30 – 40 minutes, to let the mixture rest. Pre-heat the oven to 170c/Gas Mark 3.
4. Pipe or spoon your mixture into your madeleine tray. Try not to overfill, an approximate tablespoon is a good measure for my pan. Refrigerate again for 20 minutes.
5. Put in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes, until the madeleines have filled the moulds and are firm to the touch. Allow to partly cool in the tray then turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
For an extra touch of decadence, you could half-dip your madeleines in melted chocolate!